Edward C. Delaporte V
I make computers better at meeting the needs of humans - through a deep understanding of computers and strong empathy for humans.
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://edward.delaporte.us
- GitHub: EdTheDev
- Resume: Resume as PDF
- Bachelor's Degree In Computer Science from the College of Engineering at UIUC in 2006.
- Writing software professionally since the year 2000.
- Leading software development teams since 2011.
- Has built a lot of websites for a lot of purposes with a lot of different technologies.
- Applies effective work habits and great interpersonal skills.
- Cybersecurity: Hacking, Hardening, Teaching, Mentorship
- Windows Tech: Microsoft C Sharp (C#), ASP.Net, Model View Controller (MVC), Razor Partials, Active Directory, React.js, jQuery, Git, NuGet, PowerShell, Azure DevOps.
- Linux Tech: Python, Perl, Java, PHP, Apache, NGinx, Django, SOAP, REST, JSON, LDAP, Linux shell, Syslog, SQL, WSGI, GitHub enterprise, AWS.
November 2019 - Present: Cybersecurity Manager of Software Development Assurance at University of Illinois, Champaign, IL
- Manages 4 full time Cybersecurity developers (fully remote team).
- Supports overall Cybersecurity Objectives.
- Created open lines of communication between development teams and Cybersecurity.
- Provides SDLC process maturity feedback to campus research and development teams.
- Drafted a Software Development Lifecycle Road Map (SDLC) full of resources free to University staff.
- Built a shared tool chain for automated regression testing to prevent re-introduction of security problems by any team whose process satisfies a reasonable level of the security SDLC.
- Mentors developers, security engineers, networking professionals and DevOps team members in how to remediate vulnerabilities.
- Mentors DevOps teams across campus in Secure Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) practices.
- Co-chair of the Next Generation Infrastructure Strategic Automation Working Group since 2020
- Assisted and mentored the development teams behind the highest volume community COVID testing response in the United States in 2020.
August 2018 - November 2019: Assistant Vice President - Manager of Software Development at Busey Bank, Champaign, IL
- Managed remote DevOps team of 9 software developers and 2 automation engineers for Busey Bank and FirsTech Payment processor.
- Led development secure and PCI compliant FinTech software using C#, jQuery, Git, NuGet, PowerShell, and Azure DevOps.
- Piloted the FirsTech contract solutions line of business - adding half a million new revenue.
- Led successful custom software implementations that added another $1 million new revenue in 2018.
- Mentored developers, security engineers, networking professionals and DevOps team members in how to remediate vulnerabilities.
- Implemented development team self scanning with Accunetix.
- Led implementation of Continuous Integration (CI/CD) pipelines on AzureDevOps to improve delivery speed, reliability, security and agility.
- Led implementation of PowerShell Desired State Config to secure new web servers with less effort and greater reliability.
- Led the development team to successfully implement ongoing 100% code review.
- Onboarded the FirsTech and Busey infrastructure, networking and database teams to adopt source control and code review in support of infrastructure-as-code implementations.
- Led requirements gathering and analysis to make build, buy, or open source adoption decisions, leading to roughly 1/4 million in annual savings.
January 2017 - August 2018: Programming Team Lead at Busey Bank, Champaign, IL
- Managed 3 full time software developer direct reports.
- Collaborated with security, infrastructure, operations and sales teams to improve custom software product offerings.
- Provided data analysis support as the organization grew from $3.7 billion in 2015 managed assets to $7.9 billion in 2017.
July 2015 - January 2017: Senior IT Programmer at Busey Bank, Champaign, IL
- Built financial transaction websites using Microsoft C Sharp (C#), ASP.Net, Model View Controller (MVC), Razor Partials and React.js.
- Guides projects through the software development life-cycle, including requirements, implementation, delivery, testing and maintenance.
- Recognized as a key contributor in the integration of Pulaski Bank infrastructure.
- Built and launched MyPropertyPay.com.
- Builds infrastructure tools with PowerShell.
- Presents technology training at local conferences as part of the First Busey commitment to building our community.
November 2011 - July 2015: Lead Software Developer at Technology Services at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
Lead Software Developer Responsibilities
- Researched, tested, prototyped, documented, and presented technology stack improvements for the Software Architecture Management Office.
- Worked with the identity management team to analyze improvements to our provisioning, authentication and authorization solution architectures.
- Proactively communicates with the Linux systems team to ensure support for core solution technologies.
- Trained team members in Linux, version control, Light-weight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), web application frameworks, and deployment technologies.
- Author of the CITES Software Engineering Risk Knowledge Base (2012).
- Retired a tightly integrated, but out of date, authentication system.
- Produced integrations to maintain a consistent identity record across three campuses.
Interim Manager Responsibilities
- Managed 5 full time software developers.
- Regularly met one one one with developers to provide feedback and guidance.
- Proactively communicated context for upcoming organizational changes.
July 2010 - November 2011: Senior Software Developer at Technology Services at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
Senior Software Developer Responsibilities
- Developed applications for the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance.
- Mentored junior team members within the Software Development Group and the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance.
- Fluent in several development languages, including Python, C#, Perl, Java and PHP.
- Ensured applications comply with W3C and FAE accessibility guidelines.
- Applied extensive knowledge of the application stack to solve issues - including Active Directory, Apache, Django, JSON, LDAP, Linux shell, Syslog, SQL, and WSGI.
Application Security Engineer Responsibilities
- Authored the Software Development Group Standard Security Practices (2011).
- Wrote and presented security training for campus IT professionals (2010-2013).
- Established the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance Web Application Vulnerability Scanning Service (2011).
- Provided recommendations to campus stakeholders based on vulnerability scan results (2011 - 2013).
- Served as a subject matter expert for Software Development Group authentication and authorization practices and technologies.
March 2007 - June 2010: Software Developer at Technology Services at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- Developed applications for the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance.
- Author of a series of Secure Software Development articles for campus IT professionals (2008 - 2013). A few articles are posted publicly to https://security.illinois.edu/blog.
- Tested modules with unittest in Python, NUnit for .Net, and JUnit for Java.
- Prototyped the team’s first Django framework application. https://security.illinois.edu/content/register-your-computer
- Reviewed the source code of high risk applications for the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance (2009 - 2014).
- Crafted a password generation module for use in University Admissions, to provide a campus wide compliance solution to a time-sensitive audit result (2010).
March 2006 - March 2007: Software Developer at Silicon Graphics Inc. Champaign, IL
- Wrote software to track performance of supercomputers at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA).
- Adhered to source code style best practices, including the Python PEP8 Standard and the Zend PHP Style guidelines.
May 2005 - March 2006: Systems Administrator at Imaging Technology Group at Beckman Institute, U of I Champaign,IL
- Configured backup, recovery, and software installation systems.
- Solved diverse software and hardware configuration issues.
May 2000 - Dec 2005: Software Developer at Ablesoft Solutions Inc. Oregon, IL
- Created an elegant extensible project template in VB.Net which allowed us to create all our applications more quickly with better standard features.
Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Science, from the College of Engineering, at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, May 2006
- Wrote a binary program capable of detecting a specific manufacturing fault in a computer chip.
- Wrote a research paper on the economics of the funding of the Mozilla Foundation.
- Wrote several statistical gene analysis programs in Perl.
- Designed and simulated a pipelined computer processor for MIPS assembler.
- Classwork languages included: Java, Perl, C, C++, Visual Basic, ColdFusion, Mainframe RPG, MIPS Assembler.
Open Source Contributions October 2012 - Present
- GitHub Arctic Code Vault Contributor 2020 - for commits to
- Collaborator on PowerShell Desired State Config (DSC) Module for Center for Information Security (CIS) Benchmarks
- Core contributor to the OWASP Ten Privacy Risks Projects 2015 - Present
- Created a popular Python client for the InCommon SSL API: GitHub.com/edthedev/incommon_ssl
- Created and maintained several Vim editor plugins, such as GitHub.com/edthedev/text-helper.vim
- Has commits accepted to popular projects including AngularJs, Ansible, and Kivy.
Professional Training - Highlights
- SANS SEC 510: Public Cloud Security: AWS, Azure, and GCP, May 2021
- CampIT Enterprise Risk / Security Management, March 2021
- AnsibleFest 2020
- PrivacyCon 2020
- DockerCon 2020
- MS Build 2020
- Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Workshop, 2020
- Ansible Tower Workshop, 2020
- CampIT Risk Conference, February 2020
- ISACA Securing Web Applications, Insider Threats, Introduction to the MITRE ATT&CK Framework, January 2020
- Microsoft Azure Workshop: n-Tier Server Provisioning and Deployment Pipelines with Docker, 2019
- Completed Evolve: Two year internal leadership training program at Busey 2018, 2019
- Completed Citigal OWASP Top Ten Training in 2017, 2018, 2019
- Completed Defensive Programming for C# - Citigal 2017
- Attended DevUp St Louis 2017, PowerShell Summit 2017
- Completed U of I Information Technology Services Manager Development (MgrDev)
- Completed U of I Information Technology Leadership Workshop (ITLW)
- Completed SANS On-site Secure Software Development Training
- Attended DjangoCon US 2012 and 2013
- Completed SANS SEC546: IPv6 Essentials - 2011
- Rotary Club of Champaign - Website Committee Chair since 2020
- Webmaster - Rotary Club of Champaign since 2018
- Hosts a free "Learn Programming In Scratch!" class for elementary students at local public libraries since 2017
- OWASP Top Ten Privacy Project - Core contributor since 2015
- Presented at University of Illinois WebCon, 2021
- Presented to Internet2 on Cybersecurity in Safer Illinois - University of Illinois COVID response, 2020
- Presented Putting the Sec in SecDevOps - Urbana IT Professionals Forum - Spring 2020
- Presented at Urbana IT Professionals Forum - Fall 2016, Spring 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019
- Presented at University of Illinois Webmaster's Conference 2016
- Handled hosting, DNS and administration of various not-for-profit websites since 2007