Edward C. Delaporte's Resume#
I apply my deep understanding of computers and strong empathy for humans to make computers better at meeting the needs of humans.
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://edward.delaporte.us
- GitHub: EdTheDev
- Resume: Resume as PDF
- Bachelor's Degree In Computer Science from the College of Engineering at UIUC in 2006.
- Writing software professionally since the year 2000, and unprofessionally since 1988.
- Specialized in Cybersecurity since 2006.
- Leading software development teams since 2011.
- Has built a lot of websites and integrations for a lot of purposes with a lot of different technologies.
- Applies effective work habits and great interpersonal skills.
- Cybersecurity: Hacking, Hardening, Teaching, Mentorship
- Windows Tech: Microsoft C Sharp (C#), ASP.Net, Model View Controller (MVC), Razor Partials, Active Directory, React.js, jQuery, Git, NuGet, PowerShell, Azure DevOps, Windows Subsystem for Linux
- Linux Tech: Python, WSGI, Apache, NGinx, Django, REST, JSON, LDAP, Linux shell, Syslog, SQL, GitHub enterprise, AWS, Docker, Podman, Vi
November 2019 - Present: Cybersecurity Manager of Software Development Assurance at University of Illinois, Champaign, IL#
- Mentors developers, security engineers, and researchers across campus on vulnerability remediation.
- Creates open lines of communication between campus researcher developers and Cybersecurity.
- Created key resources for Open Source procedures, including a decision tree, product end-of-life language, and vulnerability disclosure.
- Established collaboration patterns supporting shared open source tools with the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), Splunk, Energy Sciences Network (EsNet), and RokMetro.
- Manages 4 full time Cybersecurity developers (fully remote team) and student interns.
- Mentors key team leads on their path to becoming managers or architects.
- Led creation of shared resources for preventing secret disclosure, Cybersecurity code review, and automated regression testing.
- Co-chair of the Next Generation Infrastructure Strategic Automation Working Group 2020-2022.
- Mentored the development teams behind the highest volume community COVID testing response in the United States in 2020.
- Member of the GitHub Enterprise Commitee, and founding member of the GitHub Enterprise Community Interest Group. Maintainer of the GitHub Enterprise Campus Community Portal.
- Member of the Technology Services Architecture Virtual Team.
- Supports overall Identity, Privacy and Cybersecurity Objectives.
August 2018 - November 2019: Assistant Vice President - Software Development at Busey Bank, Champaign, IL#
- Managed remote DevOps team of 9 software developers and 2 automation engineers for Busey Bank and FirsTech Payment processor.
- Led development secure and PCI compliant FinTech software using C#, jQuery, Git, NuGet, PowerShell, and Azure DevOps.
- Piloted the FirsTech contract solutions line of business - adding half a million new revenue.
- Led successful custom software implementations that added another $1 million new revenue in 2018.
- Mentored developers, security engineers, networking professionals and DevOps team members in how to remediate vulnerabilities.
- Implemented development team self scanning with Accunetix.
- Led implementation of Continuous Integration (CI/CD) pipelines on AzureDevOps to improve delivery speed, reliability, security and agility.
- Led implementation of PowerShell Desired State Config to secure new web servers with less effort and greater reliability.
- Led the development team to successfully implement ongoing 100% code review.
- Onboarded the FirsTech and Busey infrastructure, networking and database teams to adopt source control and code review in support of infrastructure-as-code implementations.
- Led requirements gathering and analysis to make build, buy, or open source adoption decisions, leading to roughly 1/4 million in annual savings.
January 2017 - August 2018: Programming Team Lead at Busey Bank, Champaign, IL#
- Managed 3 full time software developer direct reports.
- Collaborated with security, infrastructure, operations and sales teams to improve custom software product offerings.
- Provided data analysis support as the organization grew from $3.7 billion in 2015 managed assets to $7.9 billion in 2017.
July 2015 - January 2017: Senior IT Programmer at Busey Bank, Champaign, IL#
- Guides projects through the software development life-cycle, including requirements, implementation, delivery, testing and maintenance.
- Built financial transaction websites using Microsoft C Sharp (C#), ASP.Net, Model View Controller (MVC), Razor Partials and React.js.
- Recognized as a key contributor in the integration of Pulaski Bank infrastructure.
- Presents technology training at local conferences as part of the First Busey commitment to building our community.
November 2011 - July 2015: Lead Software Developer at Technology Services at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL#
Lead Software Developer Responsibilities
- Researched, tested, prototyped, documented, and presented technology stack improvements for the Software Architecture Management Office.
- Worked with the identity management team to analyze improvements to our provisioning, authentication and authorization solution architectures.
- Proactively communicates with the Linux systems team to ensure support for core solution technologies.
- Trained team members in Linux, version control, Light-weight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), web application frameworks, and deployment technologies.
- Author of the CITES Software Engineering Risk Knowledge Base (2012).
- Retired a tightly integrated, but out of date, authentication system.
- Produced integrations to maintain a consistent identity record across three campuses.
Interim Manager Responsibilities
- Managed 5 full time software developers.
- Regularly met one one one with developers to provide feedback and guidance.
- Proactively communicated context for upcoming organizational changes.
July 2010 - November 2011: Senior Software Developer at Technology Services at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL#
Senior Software Developer Responsibilities
- Developed applications for the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance.
- Mentored junior team members within the Software Development Group and the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance.
- Fluent in several development languages, including Python, C#, Perl, Java and PHP.
- Ensured applications comply with W3C and FAE accessibility guidelines.
- Applied extensive knowledge of the application stack to solve issues - including Active Directory, Apache, Django, JSON, LDAP, Linux shell, Syslog, SQL, and WSGI.
Application Security Engineer Responsibilities
- Authored the Software Development Group Standard Security Practices (2011).
- Wrote and presented security training for campus IT professionals (2010-2013).
- Established the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance Web Application Vulnerability Scanning Service (2011).
- Provided recommendations to campus stakeholders based on vulnerability scan results (2011 - 2013).
- Served as a subject matter expert for Software Development Group authentication and authorization practices and technologies.
March 2007 - June 2010: Software Developer at Technology Services at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL#
- Developed applications for the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance.
- Author of a series of Secure Software Development articles for campus IT professionals (2008 - 2013). A few articles are posted publicly to https://security.illinois.edu/blog.
- Tested modules with unittest in Python, NUnit for .Net, and JUnit for Java.
- Prototyped the team’s first Django framework application. https://security.illinois.edu/content/register-your-computer
- Reviewed the source code of high risk applications for the Office of Privacy and Information Assurance (2009 - 2014).
- Crafted a password generation module for use in University Admissions, to provide a campus wide compliance solution to a time-sensitive audit result (2010).
March 2006 - March 2007: Software Developer at Silicon Graphics Inc. Champaign, IL#
- Wrote software to track performance of supercomputers at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA).
May 2005 - March 2006: Systems Administrator at Imaging Technology Group at Beckman Institute, U of I Champaign,IL#
- Solved diverse software and hardware configuration challenges.
May 2000 - Dec 2005: Software Developer at Ablesoft Solutions Inc. Oregon, IL#
- Created an elegant extensible project template which allowed us to create applications more quickly with better standard features.
Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Science, from the College of Engineering, at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, May 2006#
- Wrote a binary program capable of detecting a specific manufacturing fault in a computer chip.
- Wrote a research paper on the economics of the funding of the Mozilla Foundation.
- Wrote several statistical gene analysis programs in Perl.
- Designed and simulated a pipelined computer processor for MIPS assembler.
- Classwork languages included: Java, Perl, C, C++, Visual Basic, ColdFusion, Mainframe RPG, MIPS Assembler.
Open Source Contributions, October 2012 - Present#
- GitHub Arctic Code Vault Contributor - for commits to
- PowerShell Desired State Config (DSC) Module for Center for Information Security (CIS) Benchmarks
- Splunk SOAR integrations for higher education use cases.
- McAirpos for playing MakeCode Aracde creations on RecalBox to inspire more kids to learn to code.
- Various simple command line utilities.
- And more...
Professional Training - Highlights#
- 'Kurbenetes Security' course on A Cloud Guru - May 2022
- SANS SEC 510: Public Cloud Security: AWS, Azure, and GCP, May 2021
- CampIT Enterprise Risk / Security Management, March 2021
- So many online conferences in 2020: AnsibleFest, PrivacyCon, DockerCon, MS Build, Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Workshop, Ansible Tower Workshop
- CampIT Risk Conference, February 2020
- ISACA Securing Web Applications, Insider Threats, Introduction to the MITRE ATT&CK Framework, January 2020
- Microsoft Azure Workshop: n-Tier Server Provisioning and Deployment Pipelines with Docker, 2019
- Completed Evolve: Two year internal leadership training program at Busey 2018, 2019
- Managing People to Perform - Oliver Group Inc, 2018
- Citigal OWASP Top Ten Training in 2017, 2018, 2019
- Defensive Programming for C# - Citigal 2017
- DevUp St Louis 2017, PowerShell Summit 2017
- U of I Information Technology Manager Development (MgrDev) class of 2014
- DjangoCon US 2012 and 2013
- U of I Information Technology Leadership Workshop (ITLW) class of 2011
- SANS SEC546: IPv6 Essentials - 2011
- SANS On-site Secure Software Development Training
- Website Committee Chair - Rotary Club of Champaign, 2020 - 2022
- Webmaster - Rotary Club of Champaign, 2018-2022
- Hosts a free "Learn Programming!" class for elementary students at local public libraries since 2017
- OWASP Top Ten Privacy Project - Core contributor since 2015
- Handled hosting, DNS and administration of various not-for-profit websites since 2007
- Recurring presenter at Urbana IT Professionals Forum, University of Illinois Webmasters Conference, Chicago Camp IT Conferences